Improving Klarna's online customer service

45 000 000 end customers use Klarna. I was tasked with evaluating and improving the user experience of Klarna’s website’s customer service sections - to make sure that all these customers stay happy and get the service they need.

To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study. Therefore, it only describes the process and results in very general terms.

Goals and expectations

Having goals and a clear definition of what a good user experience really means within the context is crucial to ensure that a study is successful and productive. Therefore, I began this process by learning about Klarna’s goals related to customer service. To do this, I researched business goals and held a workshop with relevant Klarna employees. I also studied statistics from Google Analytics and visited Klarna’s customer service call center for a co-listening session to also get the user’s point of view. I analyzed the result further to see how the goals and expectations from these two groups, Klarna and its users, aligned.

Identifying problems

After having a clear picture of the goals and expectations on the customer service section, I began identifying where the website might not meet these goals. For this, I did usability tests on common tasks aligned with the goals. Both quick mobile tests out on the streets and longer and more in-depth tests were done, to ensure enough data and a broad group of test participants. I also did expert evaluations with usability guidelines and studied heat, click and scroll maps and user recordings to broaden the data and further validate any suspected problem areas found in the user tests.

Finding and validating solutions

I then did wireframes with suggested solutions to the most prominent problems. In the user tests users were asked to think aloud, which provided valuable insight into possible causes behind the problems. This together with usability guidelines and results from usability tests done by others in the field, helped me come up with the suggested solutions. To validate the suggested solutions we did A/B tests with very good results. For example, a redesign of the search field led to the amount of successful searches increasing. The design suggestions from the study are still being tested and implemented step by step.

Conclusion

The study found clear problems and presented concrete solutions to solve them. It was very well received within the company, and not only helped to improve the customer service section, but also gave employees an insight into their users and the importance and role of user experience. The results also helped identify other problem areas that needed prioritization on the website.